Followers

Monday 6 March 2017

A single plum blossom, then another…



The card I’m sharing today features a beautiful geisha image called Miyabi from Aurora Wings.


I’ve made this card for a friend who has fallen in love with Japan, which allowed me to finally use this gorgeous geisha on a card.  I’ve followed the current layout over at Freshly Made Sketches, turning the main element into a shaker.  I changed my mind a few times on how I wanted to do this card but in the end I printed the image directly on the background I made using alcohol inks and then only coloured select areas of the image.

I’ve gone with a purple colour scheme chosen based on the current theme over at Crafting with Dragonflies.  I always struggle with colours so it was good to have the main one picked out for me and I think it suits the image and Japanese theme well.  To give this some added interest, given its CAS style, I double matted in gold and black.

At Cardz 4 Galz they are asking you to name your powder (embossing) and how you used it.  I have this trick I do when I don’t have a sentiment stamp to match my project, like here where I wanted a font that would suit my image and be the right size.  So I type my sentiment and I created shadows and gradient (ombre style) colours using Photoshop.  Once I’m happy with it and it’s sized right I print it out.  Then I get my Versamark pen and go over the printed sentiment and quickly douse in Detail Clear embossing powder from Stampendous!.  This gives not only a lovely shine to the sentiment but also a raised texture and helps to make it seem more ‘stamp-like’ and special than simply printing it.  Not a huge amount of heat embossing but I find it is the little details that really finish off a card.

Ingredients:
Chalks & Powders etc
Embellishments
Inks & Paints etc
Copic ~ Opaque White
Montana Acrylic Marker ~ Shock Kent Blood Red
Posca Metallic Pen ~ Gold
Tim Holtz Adirondack Alcohol Ink ~ Alcohol Blending Solution, Gold Mixative, Purple Twilight, Raspberry, Shell Pink & Wild Plum
Papers
Bazzill Prismatic Cardstock ~ Black
Core’dinations Tim Holtz Kraft Core Metallic Cardstock ~ Gold
Couture Creations ~ Acetate
White Glossy Cardstock from stash
Stamps
Challenges

Thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

  1. Stunning card! You are right that the image and the deep purple are perfect together! And what a wonderful technique for the sentiment! Thank you for playing along with us at Freshly Made Sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, Emily! She is breathtaking, and your artwork is INCREDIBLE! I love the extreme contrast of her white geisha skin against the bold magenta background you made with AIs! Emily, you have me stumped. How did you print directly on the AI paper, and keep her skin white, while everything else is transparent to show the pretty magenta theme background? I'm completely in love with your shaker element, and in awe of your techniques!

    GREAT idea to use the clear EP - that way if you make a mistake and go over the printed elements, it won't show up! THANKS FOR THAT TIP! Beautiful in every way! By the way, I am your newest Google Follower!

    Thank-you for joining us at the Cardz 4 Galz Challenge. We love seeing your paper crafting projects, and are so happy you have joined us! Please check back to see if you have won a badge!
    crafty hugs,
    de
    P.S. I'd love for you to visit my personal blog if you have a chance. Thanks!
    {Creative Smiles}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna, thank you for your lovely comments. The secret to the white skin is Copic Opaque White, which I painted it after I'd printed the image on the background. I think a paint marker would work just as well, I used paint markers for her hair (black) and the red parts (lips, eyeliner, ribbon in her hair).

      Delete
  3. A fabulous display of colouring skills. Amazing contrasts here. I am sure your friend loved it. Thanks for sharing this with us at Crafting with Dragonflies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card - very striking.

    Thanks for joining us at Crafting With Dragonflies.

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work. Thank you for joining the challenge at Crafting with Dragonflies. Hope to see you again next time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments, I really appreciate you taking the time to let me know your thoughts (c: